People who wear glasses have to face a number of problems on daily basis. Taking a shower, riding a roller coaster or just having a hot beverage (foggy glasses!) can become difficult. And even though the option of contact lenses is available, not everyone is comfortable wearing them.
Over the past few years Laser-assisted eye surgery has become quite popular to eradicate poor eyesight. Also this procedure has become so well known due to countless advertisements and the fact that various celebrities like Brad Pitt, Nicole Kidman etc. have gotten the operation done. People are opting for this method to improve their vision because it is painless and provides a permanent solution to the problem. Read on to get answers to all the questions related to this type of eye surgery.
What Is LASIK Surgery?
Commonly known as laser eye surgery, LASIK is a type of surgery which improves eyesight permanently by changing the shape of the cornea, which is the transparent front covering the eye. This procedure is best for conditions like:
- Myopia (nearsightedness)
- Hyperopia (farsightedness)
- Astigmatism (blurred vision due to irregular cornea or lens)
LASIK is also known by the names of Laser-Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis and laser vision correction. There are different types of Lasik procedures and the surgery depends on the kind of refractive error (nearsightedness, farsightedness, blurred etc) you have.
How Is Laser Eye Surgery Performed?
In order to have clear vision, the cornea or the lens must have curvature shape. The blurriness that you experience is the result of the difference between the cornea shape and the length of the eye.
When you get laser eye surgery, a laser is used to correct or remove the tissues of cornea. The new shape of cornea helps in reflecting the rays more clearly. The most important function of LASIK is to make cornea thinner.
The surgery is performed when you are awake and doesn’t require stitches.
Benefits Of LASIK
No doubt, wearing glasses or contact lenses become very tiresome. The prayers of all those have been answered who have always dreamt of having perfect eyesight. There are a number of benefits of laser eye surgery:
First of all, it works! The surgery guarantees that you will have perfect vision after the procedure is done. There are only 2% to 3% chances that LASIK might not work, but those cases are quite rare.
- The procedure is performed in less than 30 minutes.
- The procedure is quite advanced thus, there are no risks of permanent visual impairment after the surgery.
- No need to wear glasses and contact lenses.
- Has a very quick healing time.
- It also helps to boost confidence as you no longer have to hide half of your face with huge glasses.
This is definitely something that you should consider if you have poor eyesight. Visit the official website if you really want to get rid of your glasses once and for all.
Side Effects & Risks
- You may still need to wear glasses even after getting the surgery (due to certain cases or in your midlife).
- The biggest disadvantage may be that it is not reversible.
- You may also require different enhancement surgeries after getting this surgery.
- There may still be difficulty in seeing at night.
- Eye dryness.
- Various corneal infections.
- Light or contrast sensitivity.
- The results of the surgery may diminish with age.
Is This For You?
LASEK is one of the most amazing advancements of human kind. If you have a poor vision and can afford the procedure, then you should definitely go for it. This procedure has been practiced in USA for at least 15 years and thousands of people have successfully gotten eye surgeries. But there are certain things that you need to keep in mind:
- The person should be at least 18 years or older (sometimes eyesight keeps changing till mid 20s)
- Eyes must be in good health
- It is not for pregnant or breastfeeding women
- The person should be healthy overall and should not have conditions like diabetes, arthritis, eye infections etc. It is best to have a proper checkup and consultation with a doctor before going for eye surgery
- A person taking prescription drugs is not permitted to have this procedure
- If you are comfortable in your glasses, then there is no need to have this procedure done. Only get it done if you are absolutely sure.
What To Expect After The Surgery?
After you are done with the procedure, the surgeon or the nurse provides all the details on how to take care of the eye. You are required to wear a protective eye shield for the first night after your surgery. You may be required to use anti-inflammatory, anti-biotics and eye-moistening drops to avoid infections. If you experience light sensitivity, you may be required to wear dark glasses for a few hours. In most cases, the patient can resume his normal activities including working on the computer, watching TV and reading books after 24 hours.
The Cost Involved
Laser vision correction may be a bit expensive but it is unquestionably worth it considering the returns it yields. The prices range between $1,500 and $2,000. The price mainly depends on the type of laser surgery you are getting and the instruments used in the procedure.
For more information, visit the official website here or search online.
The website provides extensive details on how to have a perfect vision. Laser eye correction not only guarantees 100% satisfaction but also helps you find the best solution for your vision impairment.